Sunday, March 28, 2010

UMBELULE*

So what are the chances of this-
I see someone play UMBEL in an annotated game (I think that's where I got it from, anyways), and look it up in my OSPD4 while at work. I see UMBELULE* listed, and say, 'cool! an 8 with two U's! I'll make a flashcard and learn two words at once!' Unfortunately, I happened to stumble upon one of a handful of words that was mistakenly added to some printings of the OSPD... Turns out it can only be spelled UMBELLULE.

UMBELED
UMBELLAR
UMBELLED
UMBELLET
are all good, though.

Here's a list of those words along with all the other changes from OSPD3 to OSPD4, if youi're interested:
http://www.scrabble-assoc.com/boards/dictionary/ospd4-changes.html

The 'words missing from early printings' can be especially fun to play because a lot of players have never heard of them.

1 comment:

scrabblepodcast said...

Update: I finally cycled through the stack of flashcards on my car dashboard, and found the offending word. I had forgotten that I had made the card and shuffled it in already.