Tuesday, February 8, 2011

D is for DOUBLE WORD SCORE

It's time again for the ABC Wednesday entry, where I try and cover some of the basics of competitive scrabble, while somehow trying to relate it to the current letter of the week. Up this week: D!


OK, actually in addition to the Double Word Score spots, you should keep an eye out for all the 'hot spots' on the board- easy to find because they're highlighted in a different color. This is important, because you may find a great word to play, but if it's not going over one or more the hot spots, you probably aren't going to score very well with it. 


Another simple thing you can do is to look for the double and triple letter score spaces (or DLS and TLS as we scrabble nuts like to call them)- and try and find a way to play high-point tiles on them. Better yet, play through two hot spots at once! For example, using the word QUIET, if the Q is on a TLS and the T ends on the DWS (I'll let you figure that one out) space, you'll score 68 points. Not too shabby.


Enough on that though. Here's some interesting D words:


DEE  the letter D [n]
DUH  used to indicate that something just stated is too obvious [interj]


DIDO a mischievous act [n]
DIDY a diaper [n]


and some longer ones...


lowest probability: DUMDUMS a type of bullet [n]
lowest prob with one vowel: DYBBUKS a wandering soul in Jewish folklore [n]


some 8 letter words with lots 'o vowels:
DIECIOUS or DIOCIOUS unisexual [adj]
DOUPIONI a silk yarn [n]


See, I just learned something too. I'll let you know when I get to play one of those last three in a game.







7 comments:

Chubskulit Rose said...

I love playing scrabble!

Want to find out my D, come and see!

Verna Luga said...

I'll note of those words.. the next time we'll gather around for this game.
ABC Wed Here

Roger Owen Green said...

Yes, good ideas.

BTW, I just finished Word Freaks. Interesting/ I'll have to review it when I get the chance.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Joy said...

I don't know which is better getting the double or triple or counting it up.

scrabblepodcast said...

@Roger, if you like documentaries, you should check out Word Wars. It was filmed around the same time as Fatsis wrote the book (he's in it, in fact), and it's pretty fascinating.

Roger Owen Green said...

I was listening to your podcast, Episode 64 (2/1), on iTunes today, and it cuts off suddenly, at least 30 seconds early (10:48)

scrabblepodcast said...

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it.