Friday, September 5, 2008

Episode 29

Poll this week: What's your favorite word that looks like hasn't been unscrambled? I recently found this word mentioned in a blog: DUUMVIR(I) (a magistrate of ancient Rome).. when I mentioned it in chat to a podcast listener, he glanced at it and thought it was in alphagram form! I don't blame him! Leave your answer in a comment.



FEEZE to faze
HEEZE to hoist


ALFAQUI(N) ALFAKI a teacher of muslim law

PARDI(E) PARDY PERDIE used as a mild oath
PARD leopard

HOWE a valley
HOWF(F) a place frequently visited
HOWK to dig
HOWS pl. a method of doing something
DHOW an arabian sailing vessel

BUMF paperwork

$ TOLAR(JEV) TOLARS monetary unit of Slovenia (not SOWPODS)


3 three letter words that take a front and back Y hook:

AWN YAWN AWNY a bristle like appendage of certain grasses (adj.)
EGG EGGY YEGG a burglar
ILL ILLY YILL ale

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Qwerty: although its a very common word to all typists and computer geeks out there, when I look at it my first thought is "it shouldn't be a word"

scrabblepodcast said...

Nice! I think I also forgot to mention this word in a past episode that featured Q without U words that are usually missed in the common lists....

John said...

SVEDBERG is a good one. Or CATARRH. Have you ever tried tournament Scrabble?

scrabblepodcast said...

Right now I've only been playing one game a week at the local club (don't have time to stay any longer than that).. I'd like to try some tournaments in the future but married life with 3 kids leaves little time for extracurricular stuff. Plus, I need to actually join the NSA first. Thanks for the note.

John said...

Yeah - I used to play 3 hours every week at the local club, but have only gone twice in the year since becoming a dad. If you love scrabble though, you should at least get to one nationals in your playin "career". Best of luck and keep up the podcast. It's great to hear someone's progression from scratch (that line about bingos being useless was AWESOME). Maybe I'll see you across a table someday.

John