Tuesday, April 12, 2011

M is for monetary unit

It's time for the next installment of the ABC Wednesday series, where I go over some of the basics of competitive scrabble... this week: M!


Well, this isn't really a 'basic concept' of competitive scrabble, but I couldn't think of one that started with M. Anyways, some of the craziest 'scrabble words' are often currencies from other countries. In fact, I often feature a 'currency of the month' in my scrabble podcast on iTunes.

In the scrabble dictionary, though, it's usually called a 'monetary unit of ______'.
Here's a few fun ones (with countries listed) for you, from ATT to ZLOTY:




ATT Laos BAIZA Oman    CRORE India     DIRHAM Morocco   EYRIR Iceland


FORINT Hungary      GOURDE Haiti      HAO Vietnam       INTI Peru


JEON South Korea     KHOUM Mauritania     LAARI Maldives


MILESIMO Chile     NGWEE Zambia    OUGUIYA Mauritania


PARA Yugoslavia     QINTAR Albania    RIAL Iran    SATANG Thailand


TAKA Bangladesh    VATU Vanatu    XU Vietnam   YUAN China  ZLOTY Poland






7 comments:

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Quintar. I've often wondered what that meant. Of course, not enough to go look it up. Now I don't have to, thank you very much.:-)

Roger Owen Green said...

I've heard you mention a few on your podcast (which I need to resubscribe to, now that my computer got wiped!), but this is handier.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Chubskulit Rose said...

What a great choice for letter M!

My Letter M, hope you can come and see. Have a nice day!

J.Rylie.C said...

Beautiful M entry!

Will you lease come and see my Letter M? Thank you!

MERYL JAFFE, PhD - parent, psychologist, teacher, author... said...

I was in Hungary for two days and had to deal with the Forint. Converting it was too much for my feeble brain.

Great post. A few more visits and my scrabble game will improve dramatically...IF I can only remember all this cool stuff!

Thanks,
Meryl
http://departingthetext.blogspot.com

Berowne said...

Could you loan me a couple of zlotys till next Thursday? :-)

sobia said...

I came onto your blog while focusing just slightly submits. Nice strategy for next, I will be bookmarking at once seize your complete rises... curre