Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I is for...

It's time again for the ABC Wednesday entry, where I try and cover some of the basics of competitive scrabble, while somehow trying to relate it to the current letter of the week. Up this week: I!

 

Ok, so I couldn't come up with a specific term used in competitive scrabble that begins with I, but I thought I'd use this opportunity to talk about the actual letter and some words that use it, etc. In fact, I even changed the font for this post so that you don't think the I's are just lowercase L's. Many people are afraid of having I's on their rack, and for good reason: while having one I out of 7 tiles isn't too bad, as soon as you get 2 or more, you're in trouble. In fact, this principle applies for almost every letter, but even more so for vowels other than E. So, quick tip: if you have a doubled letter on your rack, try to get rid of one. On the other hand, here's some I-heavy words to help you get rid of more than one I.

ILIA- plural of ILIUM, a bone of the pelvis

IXIA- a flowering plant

BIDI- a cigarette of India (also spelled BEEDI)

 HILI- plural of HILUM or HILUS, a small opening in a bodily organ (don't forget the front hook of C!)

IMPI- a body of warriors

TITI- an evergreen tree or shrub

Wait, you have 3 I's to get rid of? Don't worry:

IRIDIC pertaining to IRIDIUM

IRITIC adj, IRITIS, inflammation of the iris

IMIDIC adj, IMIDE, a chemical compound

If you have four I's, (speaking of which, FOUREYED is good, though not FOUREYES*), well I can't help you! There are no words 8 letters or less with that many. So you'd better exchange. 

5 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

better multiple I's than multiple U's, I suppose.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

fun thoughts on i.
enjoy a lovely day.

Berowne said...

"ILIA- plural of ILIUM, a bone of the pelvis."
And, as I'm sure you know, ILIUM was also the name of Troy. (I've been there -- that's where I learned it.) :-)

Lulu Post said...

i could use this I words when I play scrabble next time.

please visit my entry I is for Invitation, thanks!

Halie said...

Thanks for the tips!

Nathalie
ABCW Team