Tuesday, February 15, 2011

E is for EXTENSION

It's time again for the ABC Wednesday entry, where I try and cover some of the basics of competitive scrabble, while somehow trying to relate it to the current letter of the week. Up this week: E!


No, I'm not talking about this kind of extension: 

I'm talking about extending plays that are already on the board. It can often be a pretty basic play, such as adding -ING to a word to extend it to a double or triple word score. In fact, the most useful extensions are ones involving extending a five letter opening play by three letters to hit the triple word score. (These are sometimes called 'snapbacks' due to the manner in which they allow you to 'snap back' your score.) 

Say your opponent plays ZINGS to open. If they're smart, they'll put the Z on the double word score, and score 50 points. If you're lucky, you'll be able to play GLA(ZINGS), GRA(ZINGS), or SEI(ZINGS) to come back with 50+ points yourself.

Of course, the expert players will often memorize obscure ways to extend words just for the rare chance to actually make the plays. I've read about players making plays such as 
GASPER(EAUX), LAMB(REQUINS), and PACLIT(AXEL). Ok, actually the last one is one of my dream plays, but the first two are legit. On the other hand, I did get to make this play a while ago. There are also plenty of front-extensions, I just am up too late at night to be able to come up with them.

Bottom line: don't forget to look for possible ways to extend words already on the board, rather than just adding your own.



6 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Me being a parochial player, I think the best extension I ever did was GOVERN+ment (I added the ment, not the govern, alas).

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

jabblog said...

I think Scrabble extensions are much more fun than hair extensions ;-)

Chubskulit Rose said...

Simply beautiful!

E is for Eyes that Glow

Joy said...

Possibly my favourite type of play.

Kay L. Davies said...

I agree with Janice, much more fun than hair extensions! Thanks for the great examples (an E word I can't make unless some foolish player leaves an open S, or unless I just have xamples and there's an open E).
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Berowne said...

I wss glad to learnthe word lamb(requins). There's a need for such a word in everyday conversation. :-)