Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ten (more) Fours

...that I didn't know

LOUP to leap (takes an E too, don't think I knew this was good.)
AMYL a univalent radical (gotta love those univalent radicals. Also ACYL, ARYL. I smell a 'univalent radical of the month' feature.)
BRIN a rib of a fan (back hooks EGKSY. I always think this is BIRN*)
AMUS a unit of mass, plural (I knew this, but it takes an R or W in front, and don't forget the back E!)
MUMP to beg (I didn't know this was a verb, and would've possibly challenged thinking it could only be plural)
SOLI plural of SOLO (I think I prefer SOLOS)
RAGG a wool fiber (add to the 'words you didn't know could have a doubled ending consonant' list)
ODIC pertaining to an ode (did I know this at some point? probably. I definitely know OTIC and ETIC. But I definitely didn't know  IODIC and SODIC.)
PIMA a strong, high-grade cotton (apparently I'm ignorant of fabric-related words.)

4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

soli specifically means, in my experience, that the choir is singing, then only the soloists/section leaders are singing. this latter part is marked soli; it might be up to four voices, but only one per part. really not synonymous with soloes. Soloists, perhaps.

Saloma Miller Furlong said...

Many of these are new to me... I think I've seen a few of them, but would not have known for sure, had I seen someone play them.

Many of today's sheets are made of pima cotton - that one I did know.

Thanks for the words... maybe I'll see you tomorrow night...

Saloma

TileHead said...

The other plural is SOLOS, not SOLOES*. Pluralizing words ending in O can be tricky. I always want to try VETOS*, but it's only VETOES. Others, like ECHO, can be either way.

scrabblepodcast said...

Funny, I had VETOS* challenged off the board a couple weeks ago.