Thursday, December 24, 2009

Found Word of the Day

I found this on a medical journal cover the other day.. I didn't have my cell phone handy to snap a pic, though. You should be glad I didn't; medical journal covers are nasty. And myxedema is especially nasty.

MYXEDEMA a disease caused by decreased activity of the thyroid gland.

Hey, how about some

BONUS MYX- WORDS!!!!

MYXOID containing mucus (adj)
MYXOMA a tumor composed of mucus tissue (-S or see plural below)
MYXAMEBA a slime mold that resembles an amoeba (gross. takes -E or -S)
MYXOCYTE a large cell found in mucous tissue
MYXOMATA plural of MYXOMA.

Hope you have mucus/ slime/ tumor/ mold/ amoeba- free Christmyx.

1 comment:

Sara Crain said...

I grew up with 2 parents who were doctors. My father's dermatology magazines with full-color cover photographs of especially bad cases of this-or-that skin disorder were the WORST. I think my brother and I are forever scarred just from having viewed too many covers of "Cutis" magazine -- just sitting there on the coffee table or kitchen table where we'd eat breakfast!! *shudder*