Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Scrabble, distilled, and different levels of frustration

If I had to break scrabble play down to its essential elements, I think it would end up being these three things: 

1. Knowing the words. 
2. Finding the aforementioned words on your rack. 
3. Finding the best place on the board to play them. 

The first one is easy to amend; you just study more words. If I miss playing a word that I didn't know, well, I can't get too mad at myself. 

Number two is a little trickier. It involves the letters on your rack as well as playing through letters on the board. When I miss seeing a word that I know, because I fail to anagram it, then I get a little mad at myself. 

The last one is the toughest, and for me, can be the most aggravating. Say for example, I have the word CALX among the letters on my rack; but I don see anywhere on the board I can play it. I end up making a subpar play of AX, only to realize that I forgot I could add an X to the end of JIN. Well, 'forgot' is the wrong word. I just missed it. And that makes me really mad at myself. 

No comments: